2020 Summer Internships at Sports Reference
Posted: February 3, 2020
REPORTS TO: Sean Forman, SR President
Sports Reference LLC is planning to welcome at least two summer interns to join our current group of eleven employees who work on our sites Baseball-Reference.com, Basketball-Reference.com, Pro-Football-Reference.com, Hockey-Reference.com, FBref.com, and Sports-Reference College Football and College Basketball. Sports Reference is a small company so interns’ work will be highly visible and have a definite and immediate impact.
Interns will be tasked with data management projects that improve the experiences of our users and support our mission of providing the easiest-to-use, fastest, and most complete sports statistics anywhere. Sports Reference summer internships are paid, 40 hr/week positions available between May and September. Interns are expected to work from our office in Philadelphia. We offer some flexibility for start/end date and vacation time.
QUALIFICATIONS and SKILLSA qualified candidate will satisfy the following:
- experience with data management,
- ability to lead a project after given basic directions,
- desire to find correct answers even when difficult to do so,
- tremendous attention to detail,
- history of getting things done (and done well), and
- love sports.
- A highly qualified candidate will also have basic knowledge of relational databases.
To apply, please send the following information via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (our bug system), using the subject "Summer Internship":
- Answers to the following questions: NOTE: Please do not include any personally identifying information
in the subject or the body of the email, as we review the answers to
these questions blindly.
- Why do you want to intern with us, and why should we hire you? (200 word max)
- Step by step, how would you tackle the following project? This was an actual intern project from summer 2019. You do not have to complete the project.
Across our sites, player pages list notable awards and honors next to the players’ biographical information (see example below). We would like to add a similar feature on our newest site, FBref.com. FBref covers world football, including 100 competitions across 46 countries. Please detail the steps you would take to add such a feature to FBref (e.g., to gather the data, etc.).
- An up-to-date resume in .pdf, .doc, or .txt form as an attachment.
Questions regarding the position may be sent to the same address above. As you progress through the process we may ask for references. We will review applications from February 13th - March 27th and make offers no later than Tuesday, April 7th.
Applicants are preferred to have a legal right to work in the United States. Please let us know in your application if you do not have the right to work in the United States. We would have to look carefully at those cases.
Sports Reference LLC does not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, military service eligibility, veteran status, marital status, disability, membership in any other protected classes, or on the basis of sports franchise preferences.
We're Social...for Statheads
Every Sports Reference Social Media Account
Site Last Updated: Friday, May 19, 8:45AM
Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction?
Subscribe to our Free Email Newsletter
Do you have a sports website? Or write about sports? We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. Find out more.